On this day – April 1
On this day in 1915 the New Jersey Building was dedicated at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. Architect Hugh Roberts designed the building after the Trenton Barracks and added two additional wings to the north side to accomodate exhibit and reception spaces. The interior varied considerably, and included a large loppy, reception room, smoking room, and reading room. The entire center of the building was a two-story lounge. The west wing of the New Jersey Building was reserved for President Wilson’s planned visit, and was tentatively referred to as the “Summer White House.” Unfortunately, the outbreak of war in Europe kept him in Washington.