The Exposition Auditorium

On this day in 1915 the Exposition Auditorium was opened to the public. Commissioned by the Exposition Company, the building was constructed from steel and stone to be a permanent gift to the City of San Francisco. The Auditorium was used extensively during the Fair to hold conventions, and became one of the State’s premier venues following the end of the PPIE. In 1920 the Auditorium was the site of the Democratic National Convention, and would go on to host some of the best-known musicians, artists, and performers. The Auditorium was posthumously named for long-time promoter Bill Graham in 1992.