A century of transit
The Market Street Railway – a nonprofit dedicated to preserving historic transit in San Francisco – remembers the original F-line, which opened 100 years ago today.
On December 29, 1914, the original F-line opened: the San Francisco Municipal Railway’s F-Stockton line. It was Muni’s sixth streetcar line and was given impetus by the huge Panama-Pacific International Exposition which opened just two months later at the end of the new F-line on Chestnut Street, in what’s now the Marina District.
Learn more about transit at the PPIE at the San Francisco Railway Museum’s current exhibition: “Fair, Please”: Streetcars to the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition on view through November 1, 2015.